Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Principled Education

I've been enjoying Doug Reich's musings over at the Rational Capitalist, including this recent post on the unprincipled, concrete-bound nature of today's politics. But in keeping with his conclusions, over the past few years I've realized how much work I personally need to do on both approaching knowledge inductively and then integrating the results. Recent articles in the Objective Standard (e.g. on Newton and Darwin) highlight the proper approach, and my coursework at the OAC emphasizes it (particularly in the third year). So I now have a better sense of what I'm aiming at, but I still have a long ways to go in making it my basic approach. [Feel free to insert a rant against public education here.]

4 Comments:

Blogger Shea said...

Hi Amit,

If you're looking to solidify your grasp of induction, I cannot recommend Dr. Peikoff's Induction in Physics and Philosophy lecture enough (the recent articles by Dave Harriman in TOS are a part of his book adaptation of those lectures, but I don't know when that book will be available). The lectures clearly explain and validate the proper methods of induction for the first time ever (even amongst Objectivist authors; one of the great things about the lecture is how new the material is).

~Shea Levy

11:10 AM  
Blogger Shea said...

Hi again,

I thought I should mention that Dr. Peikoff's lectures include extensive discussion of both reduction and integration with regards to induction.

~Shea Levy

11:48 AM  
Blogger Amit Ghate said...

Thanks Shea, I'll definitely check it out this summer. (I'm currently doing the OTI course which I'm really enjoying and which also has a lot on reduction and integration.)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I was very impressed by Dr. Peikoff's realization that induction was very similar to concept formation, done properly with respect to hierarcy. I would be very pleased if Dr. Harriman has added to that. Thank-you Shea for the HT!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home