Friday, March 26, 2010

Co-Habitants

We recently had a hummingbird nest along our walkway. Here are a few photos of the new generation (I apologize for the poor photography, but I didn't want to scare them with lights and flashes).

If you look closely you can see two newborns in the nest (the beaks are at top center).


They're about five days from leaving the nest.


This is the smaller of the pair. His sibling flew away with no problems, but this one seems weaker / more hesitant so hung around for two days after leaving the nest. I hope he makes it!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PERHAPS WE SHOULD MOVE TAX DAY APRIL 16TH TO THE DAY BEFORE ELECTION DAY

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's sweet!! Hummingbirds have always fascinated me as a really different variant of evolution (like the platypus, echidna, etc...).

Recommendation for next time: put something in the picture next to them to get a sense of scale. I realize that would have made it exponentially more difficult, but I can only imagine how tiny they are! Maybe take a pic for me with a penny in it when the nest is empty.

--TK

7:06 AM  
Anonymous LH said...

Those are some neat house-mates you guys had. :) You know, if the living is good, hummingbirds will come back to nest in the same location year after year.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home