Sunday, June 16, 2013

Purpose and Enjoyment

As many may know, Firefly is by far my favorite TV show.  In this interview its creator, Joss Whedon, discusses how he manages to be so productive which I found incredibly interesting and motivating.  This passage in particular struck me, in that it shows how much he enjoys what he does, such that even relaxing involves productivity.
I ask about the melding of social and work that he seems to have mastered with his friends (Much Ado grew out of Shakespeare readings at his house). “For me that’s almost always necessary. I mean, obviously I’ve hung out with the Much Ado crew and they’ve become closer to me than I could have imagined, but the way I see people is by saying, ‘Come over and we’ll read Shakespeare. Come over and we’ll film Shakespeare.’ I need some kind of end. I like there to be a point. I was never a games night guy, but at some point social interaction starts to freak me out. So when there’s a point, it’s easier for me to see the people I love and hang out and try to have fun.

1 Comments:

Anonymous John Drake said...

Amit,
Thank you for sharing that. It's interesting to see how his focus on the end (aka values) helps him to enjoy the process so much. Pretty much confirms my own experiences.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home