Monday, December 19, 2005

Schwarzenegger's Gesture

Today Governor Schwarzenegger cut ties with his home town after they were upset with his decision to uphold Tookie Williams' death sentence. I like the gesture a lot, and hope that he can take the same attitude towards more weighty issues. Even better would be if other politicians would follow his lead -- starting with the UN. From the article:
"The reason for this action is apparently a decision I reached as governor of California," Schwarzenegger said. "I rejected the clemency of a rightfully convicted four-time murderer after thorough review, and as a result, he was executed according to the laws of this state."

"In all likelihood, during my term as governor I will have to make similar and equally difficult decisions," Schwarzenegger wrote. "In order to spare the responsible politicians of the city of Graz further concern, I withdraw from them as of this day the right to use my name in association with the Liebenauer Stadium."

He said he was returning the "ring of honor."

Since "the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me," he said. "It is already in the mail."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home