Monday, March 13, 2006

Miscellaneous

Isaac Schrodinger has a great chicken analogy.

John Fund has a follow up to the Yale admission story which makes me wonder what self-respecting person could possibly wish to contribute to such an institution. I particularly liked the last sentence in this quote:
Mr. Taylor feels put upon by Mr. Suvarov's denunciation. "I'm not sure how honest Surovov is being about how much research he did on us," Mr. Taylor told me. "Do I trust he or others aren't leaking to big donors over Welsh rarebits at Mory's [tavern] in a lame effort to discredit us? Hardly." His wife, Solange, also a Yale grad, asks: "Surovov can't judge the Taliban, but he can judge us?"
Gus Van Horn has a long article on nuclear power and environmentalists, which he summarizes as follows:
The greens support nuclear power for exactly the opposite reason they should. Falsely equating nuclear power plants with Chernobyl, they see them as potentially very dangerous to mere human beings, but since saving "the world" is their priority over man, another such disaster is no big deal to them. Thinking they'll be vindicated in the end, then, they play right into the hands of capitalism on that issue. Unfortunately, their sudden love for nuclear power masks their real objective: to do to the coal and gas industries what they did to the nuclear power industry long ago.
Steven Brockerman's link to anti-Semitic cartoons published in Islamic media seems to have disappeared, but you can still find examples here.

I just came across an older article on the CAC website entitled "Why a Free Man Fights" by Major Scott McDonald. For anyone who hasn't yet seen it, it's a great read.

4 Comments:

Blogger James Aach said...

FYI: For a entertaining look at nuclear power from the inside, take a gander at my blog, which presents a novel on the topic written by a longtime nuclear worker (me). There is no cost to readers - and they seem to like it, judging from the comments on the homepage. (Rad Decision.blogspot.com)

9:11 PM  
Blogger Amit Ghate said...

Thanks James, when I have some free time I will definitely check it out. While I was growing up Petr Beckmann was my hero, and his "The Health Hazards of NOT Going Nuclear" was one of my favorite books.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Nick Provenza's "Carnival of the Objectivists", which site I found via NoodleFood You are now keyed into my fav shortcuts.

As I commented on the post about the punishment of the young Iranian boy, I'm a military brat and was in the Navy. When I first read Ayn Rand, it was like coming home. Reading this man's reason for fighting was like listening to my father explain to me why we were in the Navy. Again, it was like coming home. Thank you so much for directing me to that article.

JMB

1:30 AM  
Blogger Amit Ghate said...

Nice to have you here JMB! And I agree that article on Nick's site was great.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home