Tuesday, March 27, 2007

OAC - SARPO

I've almost finished the second-year course (SARPO) at the OAC, and would highly recommend it to anyone, Objectivist or not, who is genuinely interested in philosophy. Diana has previously compared the course to other portions of her philosophy education, and since I'm not a full time philosophy student, I'll simply defer to her on that topic.

But I will add that what I've found to be the best aspects of the course are the way that it highlights the systematic nature of Objectivism and of philosophy in general, as well as the integrations and connections which Onkar draws out across a broad spectrum of seemingly disparate issues. Similarly, the course provides much historical context, explaining why certain problems arose, sketching previous attempts to answer them and then detailing Objectivism's response. I also found that concurrently taking a course on Plato's Republic definitely was beneficial in my understanding of these contrasts, and I'm sure I would have similarly benefited from knowing more of Descartes, Hobbes, Hume, Locke, Rousseau and Kant.

The course is available for auditing, so even if you don't have time for the whole curriculum, you might consider taking the second year class on its own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home