Monday, February 23, 2009

No Change for the Republicans

This is hardly a revelation, but the GOP is really a complete joke. They are purportedly looking for "grassroots" ideas. I took the time to fill in their form, but when I got to the categories available to characterize my suggestions, there were none which remotely resembled "ideas" or "platform". Instead I could choose "Tool and Technology - Twitter and Micro Blogging" or "Training - Creative /Arts"! Turns out that their so-called "soul searching" is even more superficial than even a cynic like I would have ever thought possible.

(FWIW here are my suggestions to them:
Biggest Problem (max 50 words): Your advocacy of religious morals and the resulting tendency towards big government and against individual rights.
Solution (200 words max): Completely abandon religion (except for allowing freedom of conscience / religion). Unequivocally defend individual rights, including those to life, liberty, property and the pursuit of happiness. Abandon all regulation and instead allow men to freely pursue their own self-interest. Intervene ONLY if rights are violated, i.e. only if force (or fraud) are used against others.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Burgess Laughlin said...

1. > " . . . even more superficial than even a cynic like I would have ever thought possible."

In my vocabulary and in conventional usage as recorded in my dictionary, "cynic" means an individual who believes that virtue is impossible, so we must always look for hidden (and "selfish") motives behind apparently virtuous actions.

In good humor, I suspect that what you meant was that, given past experience, your expectations are extremely low. I think, again in good humor, that there is an objective basis for that, especially when dealing with dedicated compromisers like most Republicans.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article displays even more of that same Republican superficiality and disdain for ideas.
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/19/steele-gop-needs-hip-hop-makeover/

"Newly elected Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele plans an “off the hook” public relations offensive to attract younger voters, especially blacks and Hispanics, by applying the party's principles to “urban-suburban hip-hop settings.” "

What a laugh.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Amit Ghate said...

Burgess: As I wrote the post I wasn't happy with the term 'cynic' but I was just trying to put up a quick thought. (Though I appreciate your rigor, it's definitely conducive to better thinking.) What I was aiming at was the thought that I have a very low estimate of the republican party and thus don't expect much from them, but this still managed to disappoint!

Richard: Thanks for the link. They really are beyond hope...

12:17 PM  
Blogger The Rat Cap said...

Wonderfully concise. Well done. I hope they listen.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome response, Amit.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home