Sunday, July 12, 2009

Good Post

I enjoyed this post over at 3 ring binder on why LB is an Objectivist. It's very personal, self-interested and concrete -- exactly the approach that I think is necessary to benefit from the philosophy on a daily, "real-life" level. I particularly liked this section:
It is unfortunate that the immediate gratification stage of a child is most often mistakenly identified as “selfishness”. As we begin to interact with others, and more importantly, to appreciate some people as values in and of themselves, we learn that achieving our own happiness may often include the happiness of those we hold as valuable (as in friendship and love). When I value someone, their happiness is also important to me. I want them to be happy for selfish reasons. This is in keeping with my desire to be happy rather than in conflict with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home