Monday, February 20, 2006

Reprinting Cartoons

I'd been wanting to reprint the Danish cartoons for some time now, and planned to link to Rob Tracinski's excellent "Publish or Perish" editorial as part of the same post. However, when I contacted Jyllands-Posten for permission to re-print the cartoons, they directed me to the copyright holders' site, which was asking for $250 for each reprinted cartoon. I contacted them via their web-form to see if they would waive the fee for small websites, but have heard nothing back. Today I found this newly posted bulletin on their site stating they would not prosecute those who used the images without permission, but that they are still asking a fee to republish them. I'd like to use the collage of 12 images shown in this post by Grant Jones, but as I understand it, it would cost me $3,000 to do so. Does anyone know of exemptions for blogs and other small media which might apply in this situation?

Also, on a separate, but related matter, I want to be on record as opposing the type of hate speech laws that lead to this sentence in Austria. Of course I regard the type of person who would make such a claim as extremely immoral, but I think the claim should be protected under free speech and should not be illegal, rather I think he should be dealt with through ostracism, as I discussed here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A week or so ago the cartoons were available on a number of blogs.

Wait awhile...this is just the start and I expect there will be more. Who knows they may even be humorous.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Amit Ghate said...

Thanks Emily, both for the encouragement and the link. I'll be sure to check it out -- as I often seem to need levity these days.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home