Thursday, April 09, 2009

Lifeboat Scenarios

I enjoyed Diana's post on the subject. And I agree with her conclusion:
Rather, as can be seen from Dr. Peikoff's remarks, the problem with "lifeboat ethics" is that the proposed scenarios are concocted so as to produce irresolvable conflicts between people. By various artificial constraints, they make life in society impossible. They preclude any rational solutions to the problem at hand. Is it then any wonder that the results are unseemly? Of course not.

The simple fact is that lifeboat scenarios do not reflect the most basic facts about human nature, namely our distinctively human methods of producing and trading the values required to sustain life. Consequently, moral principles cannot be applied to such scenarios, nor induced from them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post is a response to an earlier thread..
This is Hoosierhoops..I've been banned here..That's cool..I will not return..But i'd like a few points here..
If you com to this site and cry about getting banned because you espouse radical views on LGF..well sorry about your luck...You are bitter..And the dude that I responded too...My name is hoosierhoops ..don't you dare insult them..I played point in college.. you are not worthy..So back off jack..Try googling me or something...
But the main reason I came back is to address mamawinger.. I did not see why you were banned..I really honest to god have no idea that happened..
I'm sorry about shit...But you don't get kicked from LFG for silly remarks..And if you think I buy it you are crazy...Please send Charles an email...
/I know the moderator will sit here and wonder should I delete this comment.. I will no longer insult your posters here..
//Give it a chance..there is some serious bitterness here..And If I caused it..The Hoopster is deeply soory

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

I wonder why it is that people still so often turn to these lifeboat examples when arguing moral issues? They're cliches that come up again and again....you can see them coming from a mile away! I was wondering if they somehow fall under the category of arguing from polemics. As in, "who cares if it makes sense, I will latch onto any premise in an attempt to disprove my opponent." ??? They certainly are rationalistic in that they attempt to make an arbitrary fictional scenario the starting point. So annoying when people won't take reality into account....

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home